Website Brooklyn Center Community Schools
Brooklyn Center Community Schools- We Stand FRONT and CENTER
The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our Elementary team as a Special Education Elementary Resource Teacher for the 2021-22 school year. The Special Education Teacher will provide academic, functional, and transition instruction to students. Create an educational program and a classroom environment that is multicultural/gender and ability fair, developmentally appropriate, is favorable to learning and growth, and is based on the commitment that all children can learn. Work is performed under the general direction of the Principal. Continuous supervision is exercised over Educational Assistant.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
OUR VISION: Brooklyn Center Community Schools endeavors to be a collective who demonstrates passion, pride, and perseverance.
We will fiercely lead the way in justice-centered education, striving against the permanence of racism and oppressive systems while embracing a future where our diversity fuels learning.
With every breath in our bodies, every ounce of influence we possess, and through every challenge, we stand front and center with the young people we love and serve.
General Characteristics of a Brooklyn Center Community Schools Teacher:
- Demonstrates a growth mindset with students
- Willingness to learn and advance research-based teaching and learning for self and other staff
- Focused on creating equitable classrooms and school
- Experience implementing culturally responsive instruction
- Evidence of data-informed instructional decision making
- Evidence of building strong relationships and communication with families
- Ability to differentiate for all learners
- Professional and collegial
- Collaborative with all stakeholder groups
- Experience with instructional technology integration to support high levels of student engagement.
Job Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful, and interesting as well as multicultural/gender and ability fair/developmentally appropriate
- Selects adapts and individualizes materials appropriate for diverse student populations and skills
- Establishes developmentally appropriate instructional and behavioral expectations for students and communicates those to students and their families
- Assesses students’ developmental, cognitive and social needs and provides developmentally appropriate instruction to meet those needs
- Regularly assesses student learning by using multiple forms of assessment
- Responsible for case management and maintaining appropriate due process files
- Facilitates positive interactions between students and teacher, student and peers and student and other adults
- Models learning and behavior consistent with the expectations for students
- Participates in ongoing and regular staff, team, and individual professional development
- Collaborates with peers to develop, plan and implement best practices based on the needs/abilities of the students
- Keeps the students’ needs and rights first and foremost in any educational decision-making
- Collaborates and communicates regularly with families in making educational decisions and uses family and community resources to support learning
- Supervise students to ensure a safe, supportive, culturally responsive, equitable, and welcoming learning environment Instruct students in the area(s) of specialization and subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district
- Adapts teaching materials and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge students
- Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussions
- Assesses, identifies, and evaluates needs of students; provides instruction in individual or group sessions; establishes and maintains standards of behavior
- Creates and implements behavior modification programs for special needs students
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with established procedures
- Encourages students to think independently, develop and express original ideas
- Evaluates student progress; maintains appropriate records; prepares progress reports
- Communicates with students, student counselors, and parents through conferences and other means
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education and self-selected professional books and instructional materials
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional materials
- Orders instructional supplies and materials
- Participates in curriculum development programs, faculty committees, and student activity sponsorship as required
- Attends meetings and training sessions as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: MN Teaching licensure, Special Education license
Pay and Benefits: Competitive Pay and Benefits based on the contract
Duty Days: 197 duty days (new staff), 7:15 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. includes 8 paid holidays!
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center. Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations. Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts. Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.