Website Brooklyn Center Community Schools
Brooklyn Center Community Schools- We Stand FRONT and CENTER
The Brooklyn Center Community Schools (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our Elementary Instructional Education Educational Assistant Team for the 2021-2022 School Year. An Instructional Education Educational Assistant (EA) provides student assistance for students under professional guidance and supervision of classroom Teachers. EAs work with children individually or in small groups by providing basic instruction in abilities and skills developmentally appropriate to the student. This position is also responsible for assisting the teachers with student life management and general student supervision in a variety of settings and with a variety of scheduled activities for the successful operation of the educational programs.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community that fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We stand front and center
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Establishes positive relationships with students and acts as a role model for appropriate social skills and behaviors in all situations.
- Assists and tutors students with instructional and non-instructional activities including homework, classroom assignments, toileting, dressing, mobility, etc.
- Performs prescribed instructional strategies with individuals and/ or small groups, which accommodate differences in developmental styles and learning.
- Helps teacher(s) manage student behavior by applying proactive strategies.
- Assumes safety responsibilities for students in all environments.
- Reinforces instruction through individual or small group activities; keeps students focused on tasks assigned by teacher(s).
- Oversees and supervises students throughout the day, including field trips, program events, boarding, and unboarding buses, lunch periods, recess, and other settings where the teacher(s) may not be present; chaperones students to and from class.
- Supervises students to ensure a safe, supportive, culturally responsive, equitable, and welcoming learning environment.
- Monitors, advises, coaches, and supports student behavior management to ensure a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Assists students with learning organizational and computer literacy skills.
- Assists with preparing lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
- Distributes teaching materials such as textbooks, workbooks, papers, and pencils to students; distributes and collects tests and homework assignments.
- Grades homework and tests; computes and records results using answer sheets or electronic marking devices.
- Instructs and monitors students in the use and care of equipment and materials in order to prevent injuries and damage.
- Observes students’ performance and records relevant data to assess progress.
- Organizes and supervises games and other recreational activities to promote physical, mental, and social development.
- May provide interpreting services for students, parents, and staff.
- Attend staff meetings and parent/teacher conferences and serves on committees as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Pay and Benefits: $15.06 – $18.44 DOQ Benefits based on the contract
Duty Days: 171 duty days (school year position), 6.5 hours/day
Qualifications: Associates Degree or 60 credits graduate level; Experience working as an educational or teacher’s assistant, paraprofessional, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Essential Knowledge & Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- General knowledge of curriculum and training design principles and methods
- General knowledge of teaching and instructing individuals and groups
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively, both orally and in written form
- Ability to understand and follow instructions precisely
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, parents and the general community
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively with people of different cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic background
- Demonstrated success working effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment, with skills in promoting cultural inclusiveness
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.