Website Brooklyn Center Community Schools
Brooklyn Center Community Schools- We Stand FRONT and CENTER
The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District is seeking positive, energetic applicants to join our Special Education -Educational Assistant Team for the 2020-21 school year. Opportunities are available at both our Middle/High School and Elementary School. With the supervision of licensed staff, assists with the implementation of a comprehensive educational program for students in an inclusionary setting, instructing or delivering services to students or parents, assisting classroom teachers by working with individual students or small groups, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Teacher, Assistant Principal, and Principal.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community that fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
- We stand front and center
SPECIAL EDUCATION ASSISTANTS support Brooklyn Center learners by:
- Assisting and tutoring students with instructional and non-instructional activities including homework, classroom assignments, toileting, feeding, dressing, mobility, etc.
- Establishing positive relationships with students and acts as a role model for appropriate social skills and behaviors in all situations.
- Adapting classroom activities, assignments, and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Helping teacher(s) manage student behavior by applying proactive strategies.
- Assuming safety responsibilities for students in all environments.
- Reinforcing instruction through individual or small group activities; keeps students focused on tasks assigned by teacher(s).
- Maintaining service logs and records on students.
- Assisting with preparation of lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment and demonstrations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Preferred:
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively, both orally and in written form
- Ability to understand and follow instructions precisely
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administrators, officials, associates, parents, and the general public
- Associates Degree or 60 credits graduate level; Experience working as an educational or teacher’s assistant, paraprofessional, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- License/Certification: Minnesota Paraprofessional Certification or Minnesota Educational Assistant Certificate, may be obtained within six(6) months of hire. CPI, CPR/AED, and First Aid Certification may be obtained with six (6) months of hire.
Working Conditions and Physical Efforts:
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and exposure to bodily fluids; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Pay and Benefits: Start at $16.24/ hour, more based on qualifications. Benefits based on the contract
Duty Days: 171 duty days (school year position), 6.5 hours/day
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.