Website Hiawatha Valley Education District #6013
Hiawatha Valley Education District is looking for a Director of Special Education – SAIL Program Director in Kellogg, MN. The Director of Special Education is responsible for monitoring and overseeing all aspects of the special education programs and services in their assigned program. This position works closely with the program’s administrative teams and special education staff to ensure effective special education programming and leadership in special education, due process monitoring and compliance, and management of administrative tasks. This position will work a 240 day calendar.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
- Appropriate Special Education background and certification as a Director of Special Education is required
- Knowledge of educational curriculum, individualization of instruction, and analytic teaching approaches
- Knowledge of and experience working in a level III or IV Behavior Program is preferred
- Skill in interpreting Special Education needs to administrators, teachers, parents, and other professionals
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Knowledgeable in conducting activities directed toward group planning with outcomes of goals and/or action plans
- Ability to take direction and work efficiently and effectively as part of an administrative team
- Must be able to work in team decision-making situations
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must possess ability to problem-solve
- Must possess ability to lead teams and coordinate with others, such as Special Education Leaders, Administration, and teachers
Duties and Responsibilities Include (but not limited to)
- Responsible to the Executive Director of Hiawatha Valley Education District
- Building Administrator for the SAIL Program, a Level IV Behavior program
- Responsible for supporting, supervising, observing, and evaluating program staff
- Completes restrictive procedures reporting for the program
- Provide consultation on strategies to assist learners
- Assists with monthly monitoring of budgets and grants. Helps collect information from all sub-contracts/sub-award recipients.
- Develop and maintain program monitoring and evaluation instruments and procedures to ensure appropriateness of instruction
- Complete special education state forms for the Education District
- Other job related duties as assigned
- School building, office, lifting, sitting, standing, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, keyboarding, etc.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to perform restrictive procedures as needed
Minimal travel required
Hiawatha Valley Education District provides special education services to 13 School Districts and 3 Charter Schools within five counties of southeast Minnesota: Fillmore, Houston, Olmsted, Wabasha, and Winona. Hiawatha Valley Education District also has a Setting IV Behavior Program, located in Kellogg, MN that provides programming for grades K-12 students with challenging behaviors currently receiving special education services. Hiawatha Valley Education District provides programming for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder located in Hokah, MN. HVED offers an Alternative Learning Center housed in MN College SE located in Winona, MN. Hiawatha Valley Education District is committed to providing the best special education services to staff, students, and member districts in southeast Minnesota.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.