Leading for educational excellence and equity. Every day for everyone. The Minnesota Department of Education serves a wide and diverse range of customers: approximately 850,000 K-12 students and their families; 118,000 young children participating in a variety of early learning programs including Head Start and ECFE; 82,000 adult learners participating in adult education programs including GED and citizenship programs; Minnesota’s 339 school districts, 165 charter schools, and over 52,000 licensed teachers.
Collaboration- Partner and serve for the greater good.
Leadership- Take ownership and responsibility.
Equity- Innovate for justice, fairness and inclusion.
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 07/29/2022
- Closing Date: 08/18/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Education Department / MDE-CO-Managerial
- Division/Unit: Education-St Paul / Off of Student Support Svcs
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: M-F
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $45.58 – $65.26/hourly; $95,171 – $136,262/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 220 – Manager/Unrep
- FLSA Status: Exempt – Executive
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
As the Director of Special Education, you will manage and direct activities for the entire state to ensure equitable access to appropriate special education programming for students birth through 21 with disabilities statewide. You will lead the state’s work to improve outcomes for these students, and will lead and direct policy development and implementation so that special education activities occur consistently within the State of Minnesota.
Key duties include:
– Providing leadership, direction, technical assistance and information through key statewide leadership and policy development;
– Developing vision, direction, guiding principles, strategic plans, and work priorities that will improve outcomes for students with disabilities and their families;
– Directing the management of federal laws to ensure that MDE’s vision, policies, and services accurately reflect the mission, goals, and objectives of federal laws;
– Providing management, supervision, leadership, and direction to Special Education program staff.
7 years of professional experience managing special education programming
A bachelor’s or master’s degree and 6 years of professional experience managing special education programming
Experience must include:
Direct experience in a supervisor or manager role with direct staff oversight
Experience with special education curriculum, specialized instruction, the Individuals with Disabilities education Act, and special education statutes and rules, comprehensive individual assessment, and school improvement strategies;
Experience with legislative processes;
Experience with budget preparation;
Experience as a Director of Special Education at a school district and/or Director of Special Education administrative licensure;
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected]. Please indicate what assistance you need.
See listing above
District Application Guidelines
See listing above
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.