Mn State Academies for the Deaf & Blind
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 1/12/2022
Closing Date: 2/3/2021
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Mn State Academies / Mn State Academies-SRS
Division/Unit: Minnesota State Academies / Student Support Services
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday-Friday
Travel Required: No
This is a ten month per year position; the work schedule follows the school calendar. This position is being posted for internal bidders and for outside applicants simultaneously; this job is first open to employees of this agency who possess Minnesota Speech Language Pathology licensure and are eligible to bid. Other qualified applicants will be considered if there are no eligible bidders.
This position will function as the Speech-Language Pathologist at the Minnesota State Academies on both campuses (MSAB and MSAD). Duties include:
* Helping students develop skills and confidence in communicating with other individuals
* Teaching spoken English to children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing specializing in normal language development
* Evaluate children who have difficulty with communication
* Participate in the IEP process by attending meetings and writing IEP goals and objectives based on evaluation results
* Collaborate with teachers and other professionals regarding the communication needs of students
* Provide treatment for students including, but not limited to, the following: articulation, alternative and augmentative communication (AAC), dysphagia, cognition, pragmatic language/social skills, language delay/disorder, speechreading, voice, and fluency
* Monitor use and basic maintenance of amplification devices
Minimum Qualifications (must meet all minimum qualifications verifiable on resume)
· This position requires background in normal speech and language development, speech and hearing science, evaluation and management of communication disorders, aural rehabilitation, English literacy skills and pragmatic (functional) use of language.
· Requires a Master’s degree in speech-language pathology from a program accredited by the Council on Academic Affairs of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
· Be able to relate to students current knowledge of behavioral methods - proven examples
· Effective working with challenging behaviors - proven examples
· Ability to complete duties required by IEP due process with confidentiality and respect for students and family needs.
· MN Teaching License with Deaf/Hard of Hearing or Blind/Visually Impaired Certification*
· Sign Language ASL skills or ability to obtain within policy timeline
· Knowledge of braille and blind-visually impaired students.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
Successful completion of the criminal background check.
Employees driving on MSA business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MSA’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Salary Range: $30.64 - $43.16/hourly (10-month employee)
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 215 - Residential Schools Education/Residen Sc
FLSA Status: Exempt - Professional
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
District Application Guidelines
How to Apply:
We only allow applicants to apply online. Go to https://mn.gov/mmb/careers/ click on external applicants, select view all jobs, and then sign in if you have an account. If you do not have an account, select new user. Look for Mn State Academies Jobs, then the job # followed by the job classification title and working title, and follow the instructions to apply online.
Job Class: Special Teacher: Masters Of Arts/Masters Of Science/5 Year + License
Working Title: Speech-Language Pathologist
If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
If you have questions about the position, contact Kerry Vigesaa at [email protected] or 507/384-6604.
Who We Are
For over 150 years, the Minnesota State Academies has provided educational services to Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind and blind/visually impaired students who range in age from birth to 21. The Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf (MSAD) and the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind (MSAB) are statewide public schools with dormitory options that serves students from all regions of the state. Our teachers are professionally trained and licensed in Deaf/Hard of Hearing and blind/visually impaired education.
The MSAD and MSAB campuses are located in the community of Faribault, Minnesota, only 40 minutes south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area. Our campuses have a mixture of historical and modern buildings, and are designed with our students’ individual needs in mind. MSAD and MSAB are only a mile apart, and both campuses often share resources and facilities. The small-town environment and family atmosphere help students, parents and staff feel safe and welcome.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected] Please indicate what assistance you need.
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.