Website Brooklyn Center Community Schools
Brooklyn Center Community Schools- We Stand FRONT and CENTER
The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our Secondary team as a Licensed School Nurse (LSN). The (LSN) is responsible for managing daily student intake & basic health assessments, assisting students with routine health care procedures and screenings, providing first aid and care to students, medication administration, data entry & health information maintenance. The (LSN) provides preventive health services to facilitate the student’s optimal physical, mental, emotional, and social growth and development.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We stand front and center
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides first aid and health care to students according to district policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Maintains and reviews student health records, emergency cards, immunization records, and reports of physical examinations.
- Manages student medication and treatment intake process and administration per physician’s orders and parent authorizations.
- Maintains a system for providing first aid and emergency care in the health office and throughout the school.
- Identifies health problems of students through health assessment, health histories, review of health records, and screening programs.
- Makes health referrals as needed.
- Communicates current health problems, needs, and concerns of students to their parents/guardians and appropriate school staff.
- Develops individual health plans (IHP) and Emergency Care Plans, with specific goals, objectives, and interventions based on student health needs.
- Provides health counseling to students to assist them in making decisions regarding their health and health behaviors.
- Assists students and parents in identifying and utilizing available and appropriate community health resources.
- Provides educational opportunities for students to assist them in developing self-care skills to deal with health problems.
- Participates in developing, implementing, and evaluating school health procedures, policies, and programs for the school population, in cooperation with school personnel and community resources.
- Participates in identifying and reporting environmental health and safety hazards (current and potential) for students.
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases and manages reporting process for assigned building.
- Supervises work of non-licensed personnel in the health office.
- Delegates procedures to non-licensed personnel, ensure adequate training in these procedures and continues to monitor their performance.
- Follows the school policy regarding immunization requirements and assists students in meeting compliance.
- Participate in Child Find team.
- Participates in the IEP plan development and evaluation process.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to efficiently and effectively assess and report possible child abuse, neglect, and/or sexual abuse.
- Serves as a resource person to the school staff members in health instruction.
- Provides classroom teaching on health topics as needed.
- Manage the cleanliness of the office space and organization and upkeep of supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and, Abilities Preferred:
- Thorough knowledge of the common medical practices, procedures, and techniques associated with a standard physical examination.
- Thorough knowledge of pediatric health and development.
- Thorough pharmaceutical knowledge and ability to administer medications and treatments.
- Thorough knowledge of the preliminary diagnosis of medical problems and the administration of medications related to treatment and first aid.
- Thorough knowledge of health education principles, practices, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of school and district rules, regulations, and procedures.
Pay and Benefits: Competitive Pay and Benefits based on the contract
Duty Days: 197
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or related field. CPR/AED and First Aid Certification. Minnesota School Nurse License with Public Health Nursing registration. Previous experience working with diverse populations and urban school settings is preferred. Moderate experience as a school nurse, public health, or pediatrics.
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center. Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations. Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts.
Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.