Website Brooklyn Center Community Schools
Brooklyn Center Community Schools- We Stand FRONT and CENTER
The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our Secondary team as Food Service Head Cook. The Head Cook performs intermediate semiskilled and administrative work: planning, coordinating, assigning, and overseeing food service staff. Participates in preparing, cooking, serving, cleaning, storing food, maintaining records, ordering food, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the District Food Service Manager. Supervision is exercised over food service staff.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We stand front and center
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans supervise and coordinates daily food service operations to comply with federal, state, and district regulations and policies.
- Assists in planning menus and ensures that food items are served in quantities according to good dietary principles.
- Determines the quantities of each food to be prepared.
- Assists in recipe and menu cycle development and maintenance.
- Plans, assigns, and directs daily work, ensures training of staff.
- Assists supervisor in evaluating performance provides input into the performance appraisal.
- Engage with students to ensure a safe, supportive, culturally responsive, equitable, and welcoming learning environment.
- Trains, supports, and supervises staff in the use of systems and standard operating procedures and safe use of all mechanical equipment.
- Understands and communicates on a daily basis to deliver information to the food service staff and school populations about the wellness policy, meals, sources of food, recipes, and overall food nutrition goals.
- Under the direction of the Food Service Manager, implements departmental plans, work programs, processes, procedures, and policies required to achieve overall department performance results.
- Assists with orders received accounts for, and stocks food and supplies; maintains inventory.
- Cleans and sanitizes work surfaces and areas, equipment, and tables.
- Monitors and records temperature on coolers, freezers, refrigerators, dry storage, and serving lines.
- Prepares, cooks and serves main entrees and alternate foods.
- Ensures Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan is properly implemented and followed.
- Oversees and coordinates the maintenance of equipment, utensils, and working areas.
- Handles kitchen and cafeteria emergencies including equipment failure, repair and service calls, etc.; documents issues and corrective action is taken.
- Reports accidents and/or issues occurring in the kitchen or cafeteria.
- Updates employees regarding food and nutrition services operational changes.
- Meets and communicates with Licensed School Nurse regarding children with special dietary needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and, Abilities Preferred:
- Thorough knowledge of the preparation, cooking, and serving of food in large quantities
- Thorough knowledge of food quality and values and of nutritional and economical substitutions within food groups
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices used in ordering, receiving, and storing food in large quantities
- Thorough knowledge of kitchen sanitation and safety measures used in food handling and in the operation, cleaning, and care of utensils, equipment, and work areas
- Knowledge of U.S.D.A. rules and regulations
- Knowledge of basic math and accounting
Required Work Experience in Addition to Formal Education/ Training:
- Previous experience in school foodservice or catering preferred
- Associates/Technical Degree in Food Service/Nutrition or related field
- 1-3 years supervisory experience preferred
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification may be obtained within one (1) month of hire
Pay and Benefits: $22.52-$23.21, Benefits based on Food Service contract
Duty Days: 210 days, 7.5 hours per day
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center. Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations. Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts. Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.