Website Centennial School District
TITLE: Back-Up Lead Custodian
Centennial Middle School
8 hours/day – 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM – 261 days per year – Monday thru Friday
1. High School degree, GED, or equivalent.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of building cleaning skills.
3. Demonstrated positive customer service skills.
4. At least one (3) years of experience in a school custodial position and or equivalent custodial experience.
5. Possess and maintain valid appropriate certifications and licenses, as stipulated by the school district and/or local, state, or federal regulatory agencies, in order to maintain and operate building equipment and/or systems as a Shift Engineer.
6. Experienced in basic P.C. operation relating to email, internet, and work order systems.
7. Ability to lead and give work direction to night custodians.
8. Capable of working cooperatively and congenially with other employees and supervisors.
9. Understanding of and ability to act as a confidential employee regarding staff and students.
10. Motivated, energetic, timely, respectful and a strong proven work ethic.
REPORTS TO: Head Custodian, Building Principal, and Director of Buildings and Grounds Operations as situationally appropriate.
JOB GOAL: To provide for the safe operation and completion of assigned duties to maintain a comfortable and safe environment for students, teachers, other staff personnel and community.
All employees subject to hazards are equipped and trained per OSHA standards.
Subject to work with biohazard waste.
Subject to temperature changes while performing assigned duties.
May be required to work in extreme hot and cold temperatures.
Subject to the hazards, dust and odors from sanding and painting procedures.
Subject to the hazards, vapors, and odors from various cleaning chemicals.
May be subject to work in the vicinity of chronic hazardous materials i.e., asbestos.
May be subject to work with hazardous chemicals.
Subject to work from elevated work surfaces.
All employees subject to physical demands are equipped and trained per OSHA standards.
Be able to lift 50 pounds using proper lifting techniques.
Be able to lift 100 pounds, with assistance, using proper lifting techniques or equipment.
Able to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Be able to bend body and arms in all directions to lift and move objects and to perform custodial duties.
Be able to ascend and descend a ladder while performing custodial duties.
Bend body at waist downward and forward to perform custodial duties.
Bend both legs and knees to kneel or place knees on concrete, vinyl, tile, and carpet surfaces.
Extend hands and arms in all directions to perform custodial duties.
Use upper and lower extremities to perform custodial duties, and upper extremities to handle custodial equipment, shovel snow and push and open doors.
Use hands to select appropriate keys, insert into locks, turn doorknobs, and open doors.
Answer, communicate and dial the telephone and use 2-way radio in clear, precise voice.
Personally respond quickly to emergency situations in all areas of the building, assess each situation and take appropriate action.
Have the physical ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as needed.
Perform work in high areas, such as, hoists and ladders.
1. Performs all duties associated with the position of Custodian and can fill in for the Head Custodian during absences.
2. Point person for all evening activities. Sets up equipment (i.e.: chairs, bleachers) for community education classes, sporting events, concerts, meetings, or other special events (indoors and outdoors). Checks building calendar, work orders and/or checks directly with supervisor to determine what
equipment and service level is needed. Takes down equipment, coordinates cleaning of spaces used and locks up after event.
3. Monitors work responsibilities and duties to work efficiently and keeps staff on task. Must possess strong leadership traits, promote teamwork, and motivate fellow employees. Reviews staff work; provides input regarding performance; coaches and trains staff.
4. Oversees evening custodial operations to ensure a clean, sanitary, and safe building. Makes recommendations and changes when improvement is needed. Ensures that ongoing training is provided for all custodial staff as needed in areas of health and safety as well as procedures for cleaning the facility. Actively works with the custodial staff to help clean the facility.
5. Serves on the call list for such things as security, fire, and mechanical issues and must be willing and able to appropriately respond to these calls in a timely manner.
6. Performs light building and equipment maintenance.
7. Communicates the need for repairs to his/her supervisor.
8. Performs routine grounds maintenance (i.e.: shoveling snow, mowing)
9. Secures building at night, setting alarms, and locking doors and windows. Opens and closes building for special events.
10. Collaborates with other personnel in unloading freight trucks of food, paper, and supplies.
11. Maintains proficiency level in all required District, Health and Safety, and custodial trainings.
12. Maintains all licensure required by employee bargaining contract and State.
13. Employee is responsible to be knowledgeable about all District policy.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required.
This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
As per the current custodial master agreement. Starting at $23.78/hr. plus $1.63/hr. back-up lead and $ .38 /hr. shift differential.
Internal and external candidates must apply on our website at www.isd12.org. Click on “Employment” at the upper right of the page to begin the application process. Applications received and position open until filled and posting is removed. Apply today and start ASAP!
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.