Website Centennial School District
STUDENT AND FAMILY ADVOCATE
CENTENNIAL SCHOOL DISTRICT is the connecting hub for the communities of Blaine, Centerville, Circle Pines, Lexington and Lino Lakes, located 20 minutes north of Minneapolis and St. Paul. With 9 exceptional schools serving 6,400 students, Centennial offers a track record of academic success combined with a consistent district-wide drive for improvement. Annually, district’s high school graduation rate of 94.7% is at the top of Minnesota’s rankings.
Centennial’s schools are safe and filled with respectful students who are a wonderful reflection of and contributors to the community. The district’s vibrant learning environments and personalized, team approach supports the strengths and addresses the challenges of each individual student. The curriculum throughout K-12 is focused on the knowledge and skills necessary for success in the 21st century. Importantly, Centennial is distinguished by its use of data to drive achievement, its innovative use of technology, and its exceptional faculty, with 78% of them holding a master’s degree.
A transparent and good steward of public resources, Centennial is guided by a strategic plan developed in collaboration with staff, parents and community members. As a district that encourages, listens and responds, Centennial is the pride of our five communities with 86% of resident students choosing Centennial, nearly 90% of parents rating teachers as “excellent”, and 91% saying students are well prepared for college.
POSITION TITLE: Student and Family Advocate
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Teaching and Learning
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs detailed work assisting with supporting students and family in their educational experience in the school district as part of Teaching and Learning department. Work is performed under the general direction of the Coordinator of Teaching and Learning.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Serve as a bridge between the schools and families and advocate of educational equity for all students and families.
• Facilitates communication between students, parents, and school staff to ensure student achievement.
• Establish and develop strong community relationships to cultivate the possibilities of post-secondary options from elementary to high school, engage in service learning, and to provide our students and families with community resources.
• Serves on District committees, task forces, work groups, etc. as requested.
• Keeps abreast of changing developments, trends, instructional and educational technologies.
• Represents the District at local, regional and state meetings, as assigned.
• Demonstrated deep understanding of one’s own identity and the ability to effectively collaborate across differences.
• Excellent human relation skills and experience in working with diverse populations, community organizations and other advocacy groups.
• Ability to collaborate with administration, teaching staff and outside stakeholders.
• Must be able to effectively communicate, both in verbal and written form.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of groups and individuals.
• Understanding of basic office equipment and software used by the district in maintaining records and files (i.e. word processing software, student record databases).
• Projects a positive, cooperative and respectful attitude with students, parents, employees and community members.
• Collaborates with district leadership and Teaching and Learning to identify and align professional development.
• Provides oversight district-level family engagement programs and activities.
• Attend parent/teacher conferences to assist families.
• Counsel and educate individual students and families regarding various social and emotional well-being topics and provide additional supportive resources when needed.
• Consult with parents, teachers, and other school personnel to determine causes of problems, such as absenteeism and/or misbehavior, and to implement solutions.
• Participates in outreach activities, representing the district in community, governmental, cultural, and special interest groups, in matters related to the advancement of closing of achievement and opportunity gaps.
• Works under the direction of the Achievement and Integration program towards student achievement goals.
• Acts as a communication liaison between parents and schools through the use of email, phone calls, and home visits. Facilitates family participation in conferences and other school and district activities. Empowers families in their children’s educational experience.
• All other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or GED required; post-secondary education required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in education, human services, social work, psychology, or related field preferred.
• At least three years of relevant experience in education, social work, or a related field is preferred.
• Dynamic professional, educational, and/or life experiences may supplement any work or education experience.
• Experience using creative techniques to engage and build relationships with students, families, and/or the community.
• Must be adaptable and must be able to create a safe and welcoming space for students and families.
• Knowledge and understanding of cultural, socio-economic, and/or mental health issues, concerns, and community resources within the school district and the community.
• Ability to work well with others including resolving interpersonal conflicts.
• Ability to work with diverse populations.
• Intermediate or advanced computer skills.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends. Driver’s license and/or means of regular transportation required.
• Ability to communicate effectively with parents, school staff, administration staff, and public.
• Ability to facilitate discussion across cultures for the purpose of understanding and resolving student, family, and school issues.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the structure, function and culture of school.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidence and understand student information privacy rights.
• Bilingual skills in a language common to the school district preferred.
A. Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly work with families, students, teachers and administrators across the district on engagement and support. Duties include presenting to administration, staff and school board, as needed.
B. Physicals Demands:
The employee will need the ability to perform the following actions continuously: sitting, walking, using hands dexterously, talking, hearing. The employee will perform the following actions occasionally: lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds, reaching, running, stooping, standing, bending, crouching, walking.
C. Work Hours and Schedules:
• Primarily daytime hours
• Occasional evenings
• 220 day contract
WAGES: Salary range $65,000-$75,000 based on experience and qualifications. This is an individual contract and will have competitive health insurance, vacation, sick leave, holidays and other benefits.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Current employees and external applicants must apply through our school district website at www.isd12.org. Click on “Employment” at the upper right of our website and complete the application. Applications must be received by Friday, July 14, 2022.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.