Website Minnesota Elementary School Principals' Association (MESPA)
Communications and Engagement Manager
Join the collaborative team serving the Minnesota Elementary School Principals’ Association (MESPA). In 2015, Forbes named “School Principal” the happiest profession in America… and working for the principals’ association is a close second!
Our Communications and Engagement Manager excels as someone who is not afraid to dive head-first into projects, try new things, and create innovative solutions to make MESPA the world’s best association! Our members are at the heart of everything we do at MESPA, and it’s important that we find someone who fits the needs of this position and possesses the desire to support Minnesota’s school leadership community. We are a small-but-mighty team of 4 and we are looking for an employee with a growth mindset who can wear many hats and truly wants to make the role of school principals more effective by finding creative solutions to support their needs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Needed:
- Experience in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or similar subjects with an enthusiastic attitude.
- At least 2-3 years of relevant communications experience is preferred
- Superb written, editing, and oral communication skills along with a mastery of best practices regarding communications across multiple channels
- Graphic design experience (InDesign, Photoshop, or Canva)
- Proficient with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, basic website content management system, and email marketing and social media platforms
- Previous work experience in a school or educational non-profit, or similar
- Ability to assume MESPA’s brand both in voice and aesthetics
- Self-directed, self-motivated, able to work with minimal direct supervision, and willing to improve through training
- Pleasant interpersonal skills, positive mindset, and collaborative team player Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable to changes, interruptions, and unforeseen events
- Ability to track and perform multiple projects concurrently
- Strong history of member/customer support and service experience
- Appreciation for non-profit associations and a passion for public education Preview (opens in a new tab)
- Some video editing experience and website management
- Tech savvy and comfortable learning and utilizing new technology
Special Consideration for:
- A bachelor’s degree in communications
- Podcast editing experience
- Previous experience in a member association
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and expand MESPA’s digital presence (website, social media, weekly e-newsletter, Advocate Blog, podcast)
- Create (and ideally, design) high-quality print and digital materials for mailings, events, and promotions
- Collaborate with the Program & Events Manager, Membership & Finance Manager to market MESPA’s professional development and membership initiatives
- Measure, evaluate, and report on communications impact to inform future practice by utilizing survey design and data gathering
- Manage any external advertisements
- Develop creative and strategic communication and PR plan that engages our existing members and attracts new ones
- Coordination and management of awards programs, Press Releases, etc.
- Assist Executive Director with general HR practices (hiring, onboarding, insurance, benefits, recordkeeping)
- PTO Tracking
- Serve as liaison to MESPA’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors; coordinate quarterly board meetings; create and maintain board documents, including scripts, packets and minutes, and PowerPoint materials
- Arrange Executive Committee election materials and oversee the voting process
- Support MESPA’s legislative activities (MESPA Day at the Capitol, sending the legislative newsletter)
- Assist with Association events: Fall Leadership conference, board meetings, Institute (a three day Winter conference), and ongoing PD (minimal travel required for in-person events)
- Act as staff liaison to the School of Excellence, Legislative Resolutions, and Communications Committees, and National Distinguished Principal Award
- Coordinate and track all MESPA awards and order plaques
- General office operations may include, but are not limited to:
- Handling IT needs, Phones, Wi-Fi, and Website review
- Shared receptionist duties, maintaining office equipment
- Executive Director support
- General office operations may include, but are not limited to:
Salary + Benefits:
$50,000 starting, depending on experience. Includes excellent benefits: $12,000 health insurance stipend paid as additional salary; generous paid time off and holidays, including a paid winter break; 10% employer contribution to a retirement plan (no match required); paid parental leave; $50,000 life insurance policy; long-term disability, etc.
Please email a cover letter, resume, 3 references (supervisor recommendations preferred), and a copy of your most recent college transcripts (unofficial is OK) to verify training to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “MESPA Communications and Engagement Manager” OPEN UNTIL JUNE 2 OR UNTIL FILLED.
A 90-day probationary period, including a formal evaluation, will apply.
MESPA is a hybrid workplace. Employees are expected to work in person out of the MESPA office in Roseville but may elect to work from home up to two days per week with sufficient notice and Exec. Dir. approval. Due to the nature of our work, coordination, and communication amongst all staff members is key. During our busiest season, employees should expect to work in the office full-time. Must be able to occasionally lift to 40 pounds.
MESPA is the professional association of Minnesota’s elementary and middle-level principals serving 1,000+ Public and Charter school leaders statewide. With the vision to “be the premier leadership resource for elementary and middle-level principals and a strong leading voice for public education”, MESPA has represented Minnesota’s school leaders since 1950. MESPA provides advocacy, professional development, networking, communications, and support of professional practice for elementary and middle-level school leaders.
Improve education for Minnesota students through collaboration and advocacy.
Unite current, past, and future licensed elementary and middle-level principals.
Encourage and support a cooperative relationship between MESPA and other state/national organizations.
Advocate for the professional, ethical, economic, and social welfare of its members.
Individuals from historically underrepresented communities are invited/encouraged to apply.
MESPA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, MESPA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
MESPA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
District Application Guidelines
Please email a cover letter, resume, 3 references (supervisor recommendations preferred), and a copy of your most recent college transcripts (unofficial is OK) to verify training to [email protected] with the subject "MESPA Communications and Engagement Manager”
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.