Student Assistance Counselor – Maple Grove Senior High (Job ID: 25639)
Description: To inspire and prepare each and every scholar with the confidence, courage, and competence to achieve their dreams; contribute to community; and engage in a lifetime of learning.
Job Summary: To provide prevention and intervention services for students exhibiting high risk behaviors and their families in the areas of chemical abuse, truancy, and other acting out behaviors.
- Work with building administration and counselors to identify students exhibiting high risk behaviors (i.e.
- chemical use, truancy, discipline issues, family concerns, runaway, anxiety, depression).
- Conduct chemical pre-assessments with students as appropriate.
- Participate in building student assistance teams.
- Meet with students referred by building student assistance teams.
- Provide one-to-one counseling and support groups for students as time permits.
- Provide family consultation and support as necessary.
- Collaborate with community agencies to provide services to students and their families.
- Develop and/or implement prevention programs such as peer leadership groups, peer tutoring, mentor programs, etc. as time permits.
- Other duties as assigned by principal.
Required: Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (or in progress) and bachelors degree in human services related field such as counseling, social work, psychology, or mental health.
- Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
- Possess strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to assess chemical concerns in students.
- Knowledge of and experience working with truant and/or other high risk youth.
- Knowledge of dynamics of chemical use, abuse and dependency and its effects on individuals, families, peers.
- Knowledge of current counseling theories and practices with experience in individual and group counseling and prevention best practices.
- Knowledge of community resources for youth and families.
$48,198 - $56,892
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.