Website Rochester Public Schools
Inspire, Challenge, Empower
Being successful as a Districtwide Communications Director requires a growth mindset, a deep and broad skill set, and the belief that effective family and community engagement is a critical element of our District’s success.
A successful Districtwide Communications Director shows these strengths:
· Loves our kids, our families, our staff, and our community
· Can keep lots of proverbial plates spinning at once and make it look easy
· Remains calm, cool, collected, even in crisis, and anticipates the best next move
· Can see both the “forest” and “the trees” and weave strategy throughout action
· Gets along well with others – with similar and different backgrounds to one’s own
· Strategic communications leadership (planning, design, implementation, and analysis)
· Media relations and other communication partnerships
· Emergency/crisis communications
· Development of individual and series pieces to tell the District’s story and defend against ideological or political threats to the system
· Work direction for, coaching, and supervision of Communications team
· Capacity building for communicators districtwide
· Accessibility oversight and facilitation
· Budget development and management
· Strategic Plan release and implementation
· Family engagement support and development
· District value branding and public relations
· Referendum information campaign
· Enhancing internal communications between district-level departments and schools and programs
· Formal preparation for the role, e.g., Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Communications or related field
· Experience portfolio reflecting several years in demanding communication role(s)
· Proven effectiveness in leading large-scale, complex communication efforts
· Evidence of positive relationship development among internal and external constituencies
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including editing
· Ability to meet tight deadlines, take initiative, and make sound decisions under pressure
· Advanced knowledge of and skills in effective design
· Ability to delegate effectively based on communication needs and staff portfolios
· Understanding of social media as strategic communication tools
· Willingness and availability to work flexible and irregular hours
Benefits: Benefits available for positions working 30 hours per week or more.
Contact the Insurance office at 507-328-4226 for detailed insurance information.
District Application Guidelines
Please apply online at:
Director of Communications at the Edison Building – Job ID # 15790
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.