Website South Washington County Schools
Plans, directs, and controls activities to achieve or exceed objectives in assigned areas of responsibility, including Special Education and Health Services.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Direct staff in the development, management, and articulation of special education and health programs. Develop and manage the budgets for those programs under the direction of this position.
· Prepare recommendations for new programs, program changes, facilities, staffing, equipment, and financing in all program areas under the direction of this position.
· Prepare an annual plan and report that summarizes student participation, financing, and other related information relative to the programs under the supervision of this position.
· Provide specific program evaluations that assist administration in the evaluation of program effectiveness and cost/benefit in those areas under the supervision of this position.
· Represent the district and serve as liaison person with the Minnesota State Department of Education; keep district administration aware of changes, funding, accounting, reporting, evaluation, and staff certification; monitor changes in Federal, State, and local legislation and guidelines affective areas under the supervision of this position.
· Ensure claims, complaints, and inquiries are handled promptly and appropriately.
· Work cooperatively with other departments and agencies so that the needs and welfare of district students will be met.
· Delegate duties, responsibilities, and authority so each individual can make maximum use of his/her experience and skills.
· Provide or encourage participation in staff development opportunities for subordinates to develop the knowledge and skills needed to excel in their jobs; encourage individual development to meet the future needs of the school district.
· Conduct appropriate job search for qualified candidates for vacancies in the programs under the supervision of this position.
· Participate in annual review/evaluation of new hires in cooperation with building administration. Make recommendations for retention of new employees.
· Participate in District-level leadership activities and committees.
· Keep current with new laws, trends, materials, and methods in programs under the supervision of this position.
· Attend meetings, conventions, conferences, and events that will contribute to an awareness and understanding of changes and new procedures in the programs under the supervision of this position.
Public Relations Development:
· Promote public awareness and understanding of the programs under the supervision of this program.
· Invite public participation through publications, presentations, news releases, and the use of advisory committees.
Other duties as assigned
- Minnesota licensure as a Director of Special Education.
- Thorough understanding of Federal and State laws regarding educational services to students with special needs.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Communicates with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
- Three years of experience as a Director of Special Education
- Proven expertise in continuous improvement
- Clear understanding of issues facing public education and a vision of its future
- Demonstrated leadership in a complex and ever-changing educational environment
South Washington County Schools offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
District Application Guidelines
Please complete an online application through Frontline.
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.