Website Spring Lake Park Schools
High expectations. High achievement for all. No excuses.
About Spring Lake Park Schools
Welcome to Spring Lake Park Schools! We are a vibrant school community serving about 6,200 students from the suburbs of Blaine, Fridley and Spring Lake Park, in the northern Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. Our district purpose — “High expectations, high achievement for all. No excuses” – provides our focus to meet the unique and varied needs of each student.
Spring Lake Park Schools is recognized for our commitment to personalized learning, creating a culture of innovation and creativity through human-centered design thinking. We are working to create a system – a culture with a methodology and set of processes – where teachers and staff have the freedom, flexibility and invitation to design new ways of learning centered around deepening student engagement to continuously improve student success.
All positions are designed to support the MISSION of the Spring Lake Park Schools:
High Expectations, High Achievement, For All. No Excuses
The successful candidate will be an individual who …
… firmly believes:
- all students can and will learn, and that their learning can be directly influenced by focusing on factors over which we have control;
- in the need to work interdependently with teachers, school, and district leaders throughout the system, aligning the work of adults around improving student learning by meeting the needs, interests, and aspirations of students;
- in the need to work in partnership with staff to continuously improve practices to enhance student and family engagement, creating the conditions for equity, excellence and student success; and
- in personalizing learning for students, meeting academic, social, and emotional needs and aspirations so that each student feels valued and has a sense of belonging, leading to academic succes
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
The counselor provides services to students, staff and families in the areas of personalized learning, guidance and counseling, school and classroom learning environment, and building leadership and supervision.
Personalized Learning, Guidance and Counseling
- Primary advocate for aligning work of adults, including parents, teachers, and other appropriate staff, to meet student needs, interests, and aspirations
- Work with students and families to develop, access, and use learner profiles and personal learner map
- Create avenues for ongoing communication, and conduct face-to-face meetings with students and families as needed
- Work with new students and parents for a successful transition to the school, including development of a personalized onboarding plan
- Confer with students and parents on student learning style and preferences, interests and aspirations
- Provide appropriate referral to other “pit crew” members (student & family advocates, school psychologists, behavior specialists, assistant principals, etc.), or provide short-term support services as appropriate, for students needing crisis intervention, emotional/social support and/or conflict resolution
- Develops and implements 504 plans, as appropriate
- School and Classroom Learning EnvironmentPartner with school administration and teachers in implementing consistent school and staff expectations and practices, leading to a welcoming and culturally proficient learning community
- Supports teachers and parents in addressing student behaviors related to, or impacting, learning
- Collaborate with behavior specialists, dean of student, and assistant principals to develop, implement, and refine targeted behavior support plans
- Provides a channel of communication for students to express concerns about the school program
- Administration partner in regular building-level leadership meetings with school administration
- Assist building administration with supervision of after school and evening functions
- Assist with daily student supervision as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
We strongly prefer candidates who have exhibited excellence in collaboration with colleagues and an enthusiasm to work with students.
The successful candidate must have earned a B.A. or B.S. or higher degree in education or a related area. Counselors will be licensed in one of the following areas: guidance/counseling, special education, social work, teaching or administration.
Applicants must have the ability and skills to relate to students and be sensitive to their needs, to provide a positive behavioral atmosphere for students, to work cooperatively with individuals and teams, the willingness and skills to use technology, and must have excellent communication with students, parents, and staff. Experience: Basic child development educational background or knowledge, guidance and counseling.
Current Minnesota license or eligibility is preferred or in a program.
Highly competitive salary and benefit package for the region
How to Apply
Position will remain open until filled.
Individuals who wish to be considered for this position must apply online at https://www.applitrack.com/district16/onlineapp/default.aspx
Only qualified and appropriately licensed individuals will be considered for an interview.
With inquiries, please feel free to contact Steve Brady at [email protected], 763.600.5300.
Equity is a priority in Spring Lake Park Schools and is essential to our goal of putting children first to ensure college and career readiness. A diverse workforce fuels innovation and allows us to better understand, communicate with, and educate our students. Spring Lake Park Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability, or status with regard to public assistance.
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.