Website Grand Rapids & Bigfork Schools
District Name: Independent School District 318, Grand Rapids & Bigfork
District Address: 820 N.W. 1st Avenue, Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Qualifications: Hold or be eligible for licensure as a Superintendent in Minnesota. Successful experience as a superintendent or district administrator preferred. Demonstrates strong commitment to student achievement, collaborative leadership, building partnerships in the community, supporting staff learning and development, transparent fiscal management and a high level of integrity with matching standards for honesty and ethics with the School Board, staff and community.
Consultants Assisting the Board: Bob Ostlund (612-308-8997), Patty Phillips (651-357-0996)
District Highlights: The district lives out its mission – “Together, teaching and learning for life to achieve excellence.”
- Regional and national award-winning schools and staff
- Broad range of academic offerings, including IB, College in the Schools, STEM, Partners in Education
- Students score above average on state assessments
- Outstanding fine arts and athletics programs
- Supportive parents and community
- 2018 passage of bond referendum to build two, new elementary schools and renovate and expand Cohasset Elementary
- State of the art technology, including TelePresence and 1:1 Devices
- Innovative, dedicated staff
- High number of district staff with advanced degrees
- Encouraging and inspiring learning environment
- Member of the Itasca Area Schools Collaborative (IASC), Northeast Service Cooperative, and Education Innovation Partners (EIP)
Communities Served: Independent School District 318 covers approximately 2,200 square miles and is located in northern Minnesota in Itasca County, which is geographically the third largest county in the state of Minnesota. The area is known for its natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and strong sense of community. The district has a total population 27,500 life-long residents and 4,000 students that are educated in facilities located in Grand Rapids, Bigfork, and Cohasset.
Student Population: 4,000
District Budget: 70 million
- Cohasset Elementary School
- Forest Lake Elementary School
- Murphy Elementary School
- Southwest Elementary School
- Robert J. Elkington Middle School
- Grand Rapids High School (9-12)
- Bigfork School (K-12)
- Area Learning Center
- Itaskin Education Center
- Early Childhood Special Education Center
Union Affiliation – Education Minnesota
Teachers’ Contract Status: Contract Settled for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021
- Application Deadline: January 17, 2020
- Candidate slate recommended to the Board: January 21, 2020
- First round interviews: January 22 and January 24, 2020
- Second round interviews: January 27, 28, and *29 (*if needed)
- Projected superintendent contract action by Board: February 10, 2020
- Superintendent start date: July 1, 2020
District Application Guidelines
* Apply through School Exec Connect’s website
*You will be asked to complete the online application and submit through the School Exec Connect’s website a cover letter, resume, copies of graduate transcripts, at least four reference letters, and proof of certification to support your candidacy.
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.