Website West St. Paul, Mendota Heights, Eagan Area Schools
Position: High School Principal
Work Schedule: 12 months, Full-time
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Henry Sibley High School serves students and families from the communities of Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Lilydale, Mendota, Mendota Heights, Sunfish Lake, and West St. Paul. The student body is highly diverse racially, linguistically, and socioeconomically. With approximately 1500 students, it is large enough to offer a comprehensive and rigorous program of academics and activities and small enough to have a strong sense of community and personalization. Indeed, as the only high school in the district, the broader community takes a lot of pride in the school and provides tremendous support. Further, the tight-knit staff holds high expectations for all students as well as provide supports for student success.
The school is in the midst of change with a multi-year construction project, the renaming of the school, and a stronger focus on equity aligned to the district’s strategic framework.
This is an excellent opportunity for an equity-focused leader who works collaboratively with staff, students, and families to build a strong, inclusive community within the school and beyond its walls dedicated to high achievement for all.
School Leader Profile:
- Courageous equity-focused leadership
- Outstanding communicator
- Builds relationships through listening, empathy, compassion, and care
- Authentic, down-to-earth, and approachable
- Puts students first
- Provides vision that inspires and empowers others for positive change
The High School Principal leads the administrative and leadership teams to improve outcomes for all students while closing achievement, opportunity, and participation gaps. A key area of work includes providing leadership and support to various departments, collaborative teams, programs, and individual teachers. Further, the High School Principal builds and maintains a positive school climate and culture with students and staff.
Primary Responsibilities as Part of the Administrative Team:
- Lead and collaborate with others on the school implementation of the District 197 Strategic Plan
- Lead and collaborate with others on the development, implementation, and evaluation of the school improvement plan
- Lead and collaborate with others on the school implementation of district curriculum, instructional commitments, and assessments
- Lead and support various school committees and programs
- Develop and maintain a safe and welcoming school environment
- Interpret and enforce school district policies and procedures
- Recruit, hire, support, develop, supervise and evaluate staff
- Support student social, emotional, behavioral, and academic learning and development
- Supervise school activities
- Serve as part of the district leadership team and on district and community committees
- Other duties as assigned
- MN K-12 administrative license
- Ability to build strong relationships with students, families, staff, and community
- Must be an instructional leader knowledgeable in best practices for learning and instruction
- Ability to support and facilitate site professional learning focused on continuous improvement
- Demonstrates an understanding of their own identity and intercultural competence
- Leads with an equity lens to close learning and opportunity gaps and address disproportionality
- Demonstrates ability to lead change, have courageous conversations, resolve conflicts, and a commitment to implementing data-informed decisions
- Commitment to developing an equitable culture, systems, and practices
- Experience working with a discipline philosophy which is focused on validating and affirming student differences while maintaining a safe, focused, and supportive learning environment
- Reflective, receptive to feedback
- Shows effective skills in staff motivation, supervision, curriculum development, and site management
- Possesses excellent public relations, communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- A compassionate leader with integrity
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively, and plan and supervise the work of others
- Knowledgeable in standards and curriculum, fiscal management, and education law
- Leadership experience in the field of education
- Teaching experience at the secondary level
- Proven successful experiences leading in a setting comprised of a diverse student population
- Strong collaborator and communicator who demonstrates effective communication with diverse student, teacher, parent, and community populations
- A proven commitment to community service and the ability to develop community partnerships
- Proven experience in providing meaningful recognition and support to staff and students
- Fluent in Spanish
The duties of this position may change from time to time. ISD 197 reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Salary & Benefits: available per the principal master agreement
District Application Guidelines
Please apply online:
Please complete your application by clicking the box below:District Application
- Be sure to review the district’s requirements for the application process and provide all required documents.
- Some districts may require that candidates apply through an external link. If that is the case, the link will be noted in the job posting.
- If the posting does not indicate an external link, apply using your MASA online candidate profile and click on the box below.
- If you have not completed your candidate profile within our site, please do so by clicking here. Many districts search the profiles for promising candidates. To improve your outcome, please complete all requested information.
You will need to have a Jobsite account and be signed in to view your candidate profile.